Ras Al Khaimah Animal Welfare Centre (RAK AWC) is a nonprofit animal welfare organisation that rehomes socialised, trained and healthy cats and dogs. We also offer a one-stop shop for all pet needs including a veterinary hospital, boarding and pet shop.
RAK AWC is supported by the government of Ras Al Khaimah, with the patronage of His Highess, Sheikh Saud bin Saqr Al Qasimi, Ruler of Ras Al Khaimah and opened its doors in January 2010. The centre has since grown into a centre of excellence for animal welfare, thanks to the help of our staff and volunteers.
In 2014 the Centre has experienced some structural changes and now functions under RAK Government Public Works and Services Department (PWSD). Being part of PWSD and receiving their extended support we continue our work towards improving animal welfare in the emirate and always strive to achieve the best in the services we provide.
In the beginning of 2016 RAK AWC has moved to a new location in Al Hamra Al Jazira area of Ras al Khaimah. The move to the new location and construction of new facilities has been generously supported to Public Works and Services Department headed by Eg. Hammadi. And of course, the move would have been simply impossible without support of our friends and volunteers.
RAK AWC is located in the Al Hamra al Jazira area of Ras al Khaimah. The shelter contains air-conditioned dog building with 25 indoor and outdoor kennels, a cattery with 22 rooms. Additionally, animal housing includes various outdoor areas. The facility also consists of the administration building with an office, clinic, pet shop and an adoption room, in which animals and their potential future owners have time and space to get to know each other. The shelter also has a large outdoor dog run on its ground, where all the dogs are able to run off-leash, socialize and enjoy life as a dog. There is still a lot of work currently undergoing in the center to improve its facilities, including work on the dog walking which can be used by all the visitors of RAKAWC.
Our mission is to improve the welfare of all the animals in Ras Al Khaimah and UAE.
How we do it?
- by finding suitable homes for as many abandoned or tame dogs and cats as possible
- by humanely trapping, sterilizing, and releasing feral cats and village dogs to reduce the population living on the streets
- by providing Ras al Khaimah with Boarding Services, a Veterinary Clinic and a Pet Retail Store that serve as revenue-generating components for our needs
- by providing medical treatment for injured animals, both stray and owned
- by promoting responsibility in pet ownership, which includes advice on spaying, neutering, vaccination, microchipping and registering animals.
- by educating the public about the Animal Welfare Law and implement it in the community
- by increasing public awareness of animal issues through school and community events